To apply for any NCLA scholarship listed below, submit the online application and up to three Recommendation for Scholarship Forms no later than May 30, 2015. Scholarships will be awarded at the NCLA Biennial Conference in October, 2015.
THE NORTH CAROLINA LIBRARY ASSOCIATION MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP is a $1000 scholarship. Opportunities for this award will vary depending on how much funding is available from NCLA.
THE MCLENDON SCHOLARSHIP is a $400 scholarship awarded for original or continued study in library science.
THE QUERY – LONG SCHOLARSHIP for work with children or young adults is a $1,000 scholarship.
THE APPALACHIAN SCHOLARSHIP is a $1000 scholarship awarded to a library science student who plans to be a school library media specialist in NC. The recipient must be accepted or currently enrolled in a graduate library science school of education media program approved for certification by the NC State Board of Education.
Scholarships are awarded:
· To a student entering library school for the first time;
· To a student currently enrolled in a library school program;
· To a practicing librarian who wishes to continue his or her studies.
To be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant:
· Must currently be a legal resident of North Carolina with a minimum residency of two years.
· Must hold an undergraduate degree.
· Must have been accepted by a library school. (Persons whose library school applications are pending may apply for the scholarships.)
Major factors to be considered in making the awards are (not necessarily in this order):
· Academic excellence.
· Potential for leadership and/or commitment to service.
· Evidence of commitment to a career in librarianship in North Carolina.
· Financial need
Scholarships are awarded every two years on the same year as the NCLA Conference.
Application forms and instructions may be found at http://www.nclaonline.org/professional-development/form/scholarship-appl....