The North Carolina Library Association gives three awards:
NCLA Distinguished Service Awards, presented every two years, or when deemed appropriate, to a member of the Association who has made significant contributions to the profession. Criteria include distinguished service to North Carolina, significant service or other professional contributions provided during either a short or long span of time, and service resulting in a regional or national impact on librarianship in general. Nominees may include librarians, paraprofessionals and other professionals in the profession and can be awarded posthumously.
2013 recipient: Carol Walters
- 2013 recipient: Carol Walters
Honorary memberships, which are presented to lay citizens who have made outstanding contributions to the development of libraries and library programs in the state.
2013 recipient: Harriet Smith
- 2013 recipient: Harriet Smith
Life memberships, which are given to retired librarians whose contributions to the state and the profession were especially notable.
2013 recipient: Ron Jones
- 2013 recipient: Ron Jones
Sections and roundtables may also give awards. These include:
Marilyn Miller Award for Professional Commitment, Women's Issues in Librarianship Roundtable
- 2011 recipient: Dale Cousins
College & University Section Student Scholarships Awards
- 2011 recipients: Erin Carrillo, UNC - Chapel Hill; Tamara Rhodes, NC Central University
The Query-Long Scholarship for work with children or young adults.
- 2011 recipient: Cathryn Hughes, Appalachian State University
The William H. Roberts Public Library Distinguished Service Award, Public Library Section
- 2011 recipient: Phillip Whitford, Braswell Memorial Library
Meralyn G Meadows Scholarship, NC Library Paraprofessional Association
- 2011 recipient: Jonda Sanders
Round Table for Ethnic Minority Concerns Roadbuilder Award
- 2011 Recipient: Annie H. Coleman, Academic Librarianship
- 2011 Recipient: Agnes Ho, Public Librarianship