The North Carolina Library Association gives three awards:
NCLA Distinguished Service Awards, presented every two years, or when deemed appropriate, to a member of the Association who has made significant contributions to the profession. Criteria include distinguished service to North Carolina, significant service or other professional contributions provided during either a short or long span of time, and service resulting in a regional or national impact on librarianship in general. Nominees may include librarians, paraprofessionals and other professionals in the profession and can be awarded posthumously.
2011 recipient: Dr. Robert Burgin
- 2011 recipient: Dr. Robert Burgin
Honorary memberships, which are presented to lay citizens who have made outstanding contributions to the development of libraries and library programs in the state.
2011 recipient: Ruth Holleman, former Chair of the Wake County Library Commission (posthumous)
- 2011 recipient: Ruth Holleman, former Chair of the Wake County Library Commission (posthumous)
Life memberships, which are given to retired librarians whose contributions to the state and the profession were especially notable.
2011 recipient: Dr. Beverley Gass
- 2011 recipient: Dr. Beverley Gass
Sections and roundtables may also give awards. These include:
Marilyn Miller Award for Professional Commitment, Women's Issues in Librarianship Roundtable
- 2011 recipient: Dale Cousins
College & University Section Student Scholarships Awards
- 2011 recipients: Erin Carrillo, UNC - Chapel Hill; Tamara Rhodes, NC Central University
The Query-Long Scholarship for work with children or young adults.
- 2011 recipient: Cathryn Hughes, Appalachian State University
The William H. Roberts Public Library Distinguished Service Award, Public Library Section
- 2011 recipient: Phillip Whitford, Braswell Memorial Library
Meralyn G Meadows Scholarship, NC Library Paraprofessional Association
- 2011 recipient: Jonda Sanders
Round Table for Ethnic Minority Concerns Roadbuilder Award
- 2011 Recipient: Annie H. Coleman, Academic Librarianship
- 2011 Recipient: Agnes Ho, Public Librarianship